All About Me
My name is Staci. I am a wife, author, television host and inspirational speaker. After spending more than 15 years as a public relations executive in New York City, I left the Big Apple to become a volunteer with AmeriCorps VISTA in New Mexico.
I met my husband, also a New Yorker, on an internet dating site in New Mexico. After dating for two months he proposed. We were engaged for five and on June 4, 2012, almost one year to my arrival, we married on a full moon in Sedona surrounded by the beautiful red rock mountains of Arizona.
Here are links to my wedding’s photo gallery and videos starting with the trailer, three minute version and entire ceremony. Our wedding was featured on Essence.com’s Bridal Bliss where we were the most popular couple for 2012! Our ceremony also won two Essence Bridal Bliss awards and was spotlighted in the magazine’s February 2013 issue.
I am an avid community servant and have served as a junior board member with Bowery Residents’ Committee, Inc. (BRC) a not-for-profit establishment that helps the destitute reclaim their lives. As a survivor of sibling abuse, I am very passionate about providing support to other survivors along with bringing recognition about the seriousness of this problem to parents and the rest of our society.
Other community service activities dear to my heart involve spreading HIV/AIDS awareness, being a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (P.E.T.A.). As a type 1 diabetic, I am a spokesperson for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (J.D.R.F.) and a volunteer with Divabetic, a diabetes outreach organization whose goals are designed to promote a positive attitude and help build esteem among people living with diabetes today. I also served two years as an agriculture volunteer with the United States Peace Corps in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in Central Africa.
As a beauty pageant queen I held the titles of Ms. New York Woman 2010, Ms. Universal Outstanding Woman of Achievement (O.W.A.) 2008-2009, Ms. Liberty America International 2007 and Ms. New York 2006. As a state and national pageant queen, I have been featured in magazines and newspapers nationwide including Today’s Black Women magazine, Pageantry magazine, The New York Daily News, The New York Beacon, The Daily Challenge, The Afro Times, Caribbean Life, Christian Times, African-American News & Issues, Infinite Greek magazine, Melanie News, Scoop magazine and Pasty’s Pageantry magazine. I graced the covers of The Brooklyn Spectator newspaper, B.I.G. (Black Is Good) magazine and The Westchester Times. I have been interviewed on WBLS-Radio’s “Sunday Classics with Hal Jackson,” “The Valder Bee Bee Show,” “The Pageant Cast,” “Taking it to The People,” “The Lenny Matthews Show,” “New York Stories” and was host to the music video program “New York Noise” on NYC-TV. My effortless work to bring awareness to sibling abuse allowed me the opportunity to tell my story on “The Dr. Phil Show.”
I possess a Bachelor of Science degree in Communications from Morgan State University and am the author of a short story called “Pop Pop” that was published in an anthology titled GRANDFATHERS edited by poet, Nikki Giovanni.
Throughout my career, I was a successful press agent for artists, authors, corporations and non-profit organizations. I have worked with Nikki Giovanni, Janie Hendrix (Jimi’s sister), Zane, Tony Brown, Linkin Park, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Tim McGraw, Mo’Nique, Walter Mosely, Rita Marley, Bill Duke, Lawry’s Foods, Inc., Farmers Insurance and The California Department of Health Services, Office of AIDS, to name a few.
I am a classically trained dancer and spend my spare time cooking vegan meals, collecting rare books, judging pageants, going to the theatre, jazz clubs and picking apples in the Fall.
Raised in Queens, New York, I currently live in Albuquerque, New Mexico with my husband and rottweiler, Bolo.
Below is a list of interesting facts about me you may or may not know. In no particular order here they are:
1. I am a morning person.
2. I am a vegan and enjoy eating organic food.
3. I am the youngest of three and the oldest of three.
4. I despise jealous people.
5. I am a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
6. I ate dog, cat, rat, caterpillars and termites, among other things, while living in the Congo as a Peace Corps Volunteer. I wasn’t a vegan then.
7. I drove from New York to Los Angeles by myself.
8. I get bored easily.
9. I day dream all of the time even in the middle of important conversations.
10. I hold grudges. I am working on this and am improving.
11. I appeared on “The Dr. Phil Show.”
12. I am a keynote speaker.
13. I write short stories for children.
14. At 11-years-old my mother put a relaxer in my hair. As a result, my hair fell out, and the texture changed FOREVER!
15. I am good friends with Nikki Giovanni and Zane. I had dinner with Bill Duke. Escorted Angela Davis around New Orleans. Chit Chatted with Gladys Knight in Bill Duke’s trailer. Gordon Parks told me I was beautiful. Ossie Davis kissed the back of my hand. Michael Baisden told me I was “dangerous.” Malik Yoba asked to use my lip balm.
16. Having super long natural hair is my dream.
17. I love anything and everything glamorous and beautiful.
18. I am a beauty pageant queen and judge.
19. Living in a mud hut with no electricity or running water for two years was an experience.
20. With no training I completed the New York City marathon.
21. I wear makeup everyday.
22. I love getting glammed up.
23. “Grease” is my favorite movie of all time. I saw it more than 30 times.
24. I love Snoopy and everything Disney.
25. Good Housekeeping magazine and Kmart selected me to model actress Jaclyn Smith’s clothing line for a program that aired on Good Housekeeping TV.
26. By myself, I back-packed throughout Africa and Europe.
27. I want to be a nude model for P.E.T.A.