I decided to try something new because I became tired of the same ole meals. So I stopped being a little lazy and put together a vegan soup dish that is easy, easy, easy to make.
- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil such as safflower or sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup uncooked sprouted brown rice (I used regular brown rice)
- 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, cut on the bias
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups broth made from Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base or Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shreded cabbage
- 3 bok choy, thinly sliced
Heat a large soup pot or small stockpot over high heat, add the oil, and wait until it shimmers. Add the rice and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 2 minutes. Add the scallions and garlic and cook 1 minute more.
Carefully pour in the broth and bring the soup to a gentle boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer the soup until the rice is fully cooked. Add the remaining ingredients.
Ladle 10 to 12 ounce portions in each of six large soup bowls and serve.
Easy. Tasty. Healthy!