I didn’t understand why my hair was so dry. No products seemed to work. My curls broke off and just stopped growing. I couldn’t figure it out. When I revealed my problem on the web and on social media people reached out and said find out your porosity level.
I am old school and just tried various products and took it from there. However there is such a thing called low porosity and high porosity hair. After some research I took the hair strand test (on clean hair) using a glass of water and discovered that my hair is low porosity because my strand floated on top of the water.
Porosity is the hair’s ability to absorb and maintain moisture. Because my porosity is low my hair cuticles are closed and moisture has a hard time getting in and staying in. According to the research I did below are some of the things people with low porosity hair should always do.
- Moisturize hair when it is damp or dry. NOT wet. By doing this hair cuticles will open for moisture.
- Deep condition with heat.
- Use a clarifying shampoo. This is something I didn’t do because of the dry climate I live in.
- Rinse using warm water
- Use light oils such as olive oil or grape seed oil. This is something I didn’t do as well because of the dry climate.
- Be careful using proteins. So should I stop using raw eggs on my hair?
After some more reserch I now know Shea Moisture has a line for low porosity hair. I plan to use it quickly.