Box Braids

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012

I decided to get my hair box braided at one of the most popular salons in Albuquerque - Kamaria Creations. The black population is small in Albuquerque, and places that specialize in styling natural hair is even smaller, so after researching the Internet I was happy to find Kamaria Creations and excited about them braiding my hair.

I did everything they wanted me to do. I had a consultation and purchased 8 packs (but used 6) of 100% Kanekalon synthtic hair that the stylist recommended. I showed up on time, no, matter of fact, early. I knew box braids would take a long time - especially the style I wanted. I had my laptop to keep me entertained and I was ready to spend an entire day and night at Kamaria Creations.

The stylists braided my hair for 8 hours before she asked if we could continue the next day. She wanted to attend a going-away party for another braider – the owner’s sister. I agreed. I understood her desire to attend the event. Her colleague was moving to another state and leaving after the party. Even though I had a lot going on with organizing last minute everything regarding my wedding, we set a time for the next day in the afternoon. That morning she called to cancel. Basically her social calendar was more important. She suggested I come in on Memorial day. I was pissed. I had stuff to do that was piled to the ceiling and her social calendar started to interfere with mine. It was her idea to stop braiding and start again the next day. I would have sat there until midnight if it meant my hair would be finished. I told her I couldn’t wait until Monday and she said she couldn’t finish my hair on Sunday. I told my mom and she offered to finish the job. I knew I was going to talk to the salon’s owner, but at that time, my focus was on getting my hair done.
So my 72- (soon to be 73 on June 10) year-old mom stood on her feet for hours to finish my hair. She’s a trooper. I am so thankful!
I wanted the ends curly so I rolled them using hair rods.
Boiled water to a rapid bubble.
Then transferred the hot liquid into a measuring cup.
Each hair rod was dipped in the water for about 20 seconds.
I left the rods in for 2 to 5 minutes. Once they were removed my hair looked like this.
I received a discount from Kamaria Creations. They charge $25 an hour. The stylist braided my hair for 9 1/2 hours and my mom finished it in 4 to 5 hours. I sent them a check for $190. At times I feel I should have received more of a discount but I forgave the situation and moved on.
All I can say is my mom is the best!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

10 Responses to “Box Braids”

1. melanie kirven says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I am a licensed cosmo specializing in natural hair located in Albuquerque/Rio Rancho NM,.Give me a call if you ever need your hair done

2. Permed to Natural says:
    December 9th, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I will do that for sure!! Thanks for reaching out to me!

3. Pamela says:
    December 25th, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I’m looking for latch-hook/”interlock”/”crochet” braids hopefully without having to haul it up to Colorado Springs to find someone who can do a good job, fast, and not leave spaces or forget to do the back. It seems like such a simple procedure, to get the cornrow pattern right underneath so that there are no spaces left in the back and the rows don’t “show” as much in the front, but I fear that the Albuquerque overall lack of work ethic will make finding decent hair almost as hard as it was in the San Francisco Bay Area. I came to teach Math in the Santa Fe Public Schools and looking decent, yes even from the BACK, doesn’t seem like it’s too much to ask…..? People in Colorado are advertising in the $45-65 range even in their Salons. If I don’t find someone down here I guess a 5-hour drive won’t be too much to deal with….

4. Meka says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Hi Melanie Karvin, I have just relocated to the Albuquerque area and I’m hoping you’re still out here?! I’m looking for someone to care for my hair!!

5. Lisa says:
    November 13th, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Pamela, you couldn’t get your hair done in the SF Bay!?!? That’s so odd because I am from there originally and often fly back to Oakland to get my hair done specifically braided. Braid shops and beauty salons are literally on every corner like Starbucks. Lol! I don’t trust stylist in ABQ. They are often unprofessional and lack the necessary skills that I except especially if I’m paying good money. Meka, If you want braids reach out to Fatima on Lead St by UNM. Her shop is called oasis. She does a great job

6. Carmen says:
    November 22nd, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Does anyone know of any other shops that do Senegalese twists or box braids? I’m fighting the urge to cut it all off.

7. Permed to Natural says:
    November 30th, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Where are you located?

8. Carmen says:
    December 30th, 2014 at 11:10 PM

I live in Albuquerque

9. Trish says:
    January 24th, 2017 at 9:39 AM

Unfortunately, melanie kirven no longer does braiding. At least that is what I was told the other day.

10. Permed to Natural says: